03 April 2011

General Conference traditions

We always play conference bingo.
Sometimes with sour patch kids, sometimes with skittles, a lot of times with m&ms.

This year was a first . . . carrots?

I had the kids peeling carrots for chicken pot pie (another one of those mothering teaching moments and they all wanted a turn using the peeler). Erik thought he'd use them for his space markers on his card. I'm for anything that will keep them listening and "there".

We didn't watch the first session yesterday because Nate had his first soccer game. He was incredibly fun to watch. Many times as I'm driving by the school during school hours, I catch him playing soccer at recess and will always unroll my window to cheer him on and then watch him get really aggressive for my benefit. One day I asked if that embarrassed him and would he like me to not do that any more. He said no way. I'm glad he still likes me.

This year we pretty much stayed in jammies all day (maybe the snow had something to do with it?) and it also seems one conference tradition that happens without fail is a Sunday nap. That last hour usually gets me and today was no exception. I didn't snooze too long and heard the last 45 minutes, enough to listen to the speaker whose name was C. Scott Grow. We all got a big chuckle out of that one and had to do a little explaining to Ash.
Donuts are another thing we do. I love donuts, but I don't love how unhealthy they are. So I only allow myself that luxury a couple of times year. A few years ago I bought a deep fat fryer (a big boo boo, but only something I use occasionally) and attempted to make homemade donuts. They just didn't turn out great. I came across a very easy recipe that I have been using for several years now.
 
Biscuit Donuts
1 can refrigerated Pillsbury buttermilk biscuits

Take out of package and slightly flatten with hand. Make a hole in the center. Deep fry until golden brown. Dip in powdered sugar, white sugar, or frost with chocolate glaze. If using the chocolate glaze, allow to cool.

Chocolate Glaze:
2 T. plus 2 t. butter, softened
1 c. powdered sugar
1/4 t. vanilla
2 T. plus 2 t. hot water
1/2 c. chocolate chips
sprinkles (optional)

Combine butter and powdered sugar. Add vanilla and hot water. Mix until smooth. Melt chocolate chips in microwave in 30 second intervals. Be careful not to burn the chocolate and add to powdered sugar mixture. Let firm up about 15 minutes.

No comments: