23 April 2011

Easter traditions

Apparently I've made the same pact with the Easter Bunny as my mother did and he has agreed to come a day early. This was a tradition I grew up with and love the idea of making Sunday a more holy day instead of holiday. Also, several, several years ago I took each kid's Easter basket, tied it with a colored yarn different from the others, hid the basket, and wound the string all through the house (sometimes the yard), ending at their bed. When they woke up they had to follow the string to their basket. I did this for a few years, then got burned out. That string took a lot of time.

This year Kiersten requested that I do it again. So I obliged. Tyler wasn't too keen on helping, but once he got into it, he really went all out, going around the outside of the house, out the 2nd story windows, taping it to the ceiling. After the baskets were all carefully hidden and string crisscrossed throughout the house, he admitted it was pretty fun. I want to continue it even if it does require a few hours.


This year I also wanted to focus more on the real Easter. It seems that every year it creeps up on me and I haven't really spend any time preparing. We do the bunny thing on Saturday, go to church on Sunday, and call it good. It seems the whole month of December is spent preparing for Christmas Day, so why not the same for Easter. At least I could devote a week. I decided this year to start on the Sunday before Easter Sunday and hold a little "day in the life of Christ" devotional where we would discuss what happened each day leading up to Easter. I gathered all the gospel art pictures portraying that week and we got the first two days hung up on our timeline. But then it was spring break and we were gone a couple of days and it just didn't happen like I wanted it to. It was a good start and next year I'll do better.
 

2 comments:

Ambs said...

This is an awesome idea! Especially in a bigger home, I'd say.
Otherwise they might accidentally find their basket before they get to the end of the string. No?

Missy said...

It worked well in our Stansbury home also. You just have to wind the string all over and they have to follow the string to their basket. NO CHEATING! It really is a fun thing to do.