30 December 2007

How I came to be . . .

I guess I should mention how this blog came to fruition.

Last Christmas an old college roommate of mine sent her yearly family update and mentioned that she had started a blog. So throughout this year I have been a casual reader, keeping up with her growing family. Then one day in my googling, I happened to stumble across another personal blog of a person I know nothing about. BUT I loved the way she wrote. It wasn't your casual day-to-day type entries. They were funny and witty and well-written. After several months of lurking on her site, I desired to become a better writer.

I've kept a journal, but I don't write consistently and my writing is very haphazard, jumping from one thought to another without any real cohesion. I don't plan my words or sentences when I journal write. My entire objective is to get my thoughts on paper without worrying if I'm using the best word or sentence structure, without worrying if I'm being too redundant. Confession: I'm a lazy writer. Correction: I was a lazy writer.

So I decided a blog would be an experiment for me to see if I could indeed be a better writer. I loved the idea of being able to add pictures. I discovered you can print your blog entries in book format (a definite plus for posterity's sake!). I don't care so much if anyone reads it now. In fact so far no one has read a single entry, but I try to write as though everyone is reading it.

The hardest part of this entire process has been coming up with a blog name. There were several days where I stalemated. I couldn't move beyond the naming game. I started one day just writing down everything that came to me: Joyful Mother of Children, Becoming, Miscellaneous Musings, Ramblings, Simple, Small and Simple, Creating Roots, Remember Remember, Family Is Everything. Nothing stood out to me. Then I remembered listening to a talk by Dr. John L. Lund where he described me perfectly. I am A HUMAN DOER as opposed to a human being. I am a visual person who tends to see everything that is not done (Dr. Lund is also very quick to point out that there is no such thing as DONE. There will always be something to do). So while I am intrinsically a doer, I am working on becoming.

1 comment:

Jule said...

I have always loved your name of your blog & was envious I couldn't come up with something so creative. You are continuing in my footsteps of what I had always wanted to be too a better writer! I lived in the age of keeping my journal on the computer & printed out--to be lost! I have always been unsure of the internet & keeping my thoughts in cyberspace! I tried while on my mission of keeping a blog in hopes of helping others who would come behind me but it was a slow & tedious process because of the slow internet & took forever in downloading pictures! Thanks for your inspiration & I will try again! I love quotes too & it would be good to have them in one place!