03 February 2019

My life lately

I finished!

President Nelson issued a challenge to the women last fall to finish the Book of Mormon by the end of the year and in your study to look of Christ in the Book of Mormon.

I knew this would be a bit of challenge for me because of the busyness of a new job and school and family life. And I found the way for me to accomplish this was to listen to it on my way to and from school.

Well, the end of the year came and went but I still plugged along. I may have been a month late but I conquered.

Every time I read that book, I discover new things and new insights. What I love about a quick read from start to finish is you get a better view of the story as a whole. The thesis statement of the Book of Mormon could be summed up in 1 Nephi 1:20

But behold, I, Nephi, will show unto you that the tender mercies of the Lord are over all those whom he hath chosen, because of their faith, to make them mighty even unto the power of deliverance.

Nephi is going to show up what this book can do for us in delivering us from our trials and heartaches and pains through Jesus Christ the Lord.

And the concluding statement that sums up this wonderful book is found in Moroni 10:32

Yea, come unto Christ, and be perfected in him, and deny yourselves of all ungodliness; and if ye shall deny yourselves of all ungodliness, and love God with all your might, mind and strength, then is his grace sufficient for you, that by his grace ye may be perfect in Christ; and if by the grace of God ye are perfect in Christ, ye can in nowise deny the power of God.

This is the final invitation to come and see what Christ can do for you.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

I'm back in school mode taking three classes. I remember my last quarter at Utah State. It was the spring of 1998 and I was so ready to be done with school. I made a list of all the assignments I had left to complete and dutifully checked them off one by one. That feeling of being able to fit the rest of my schooling onto one page was so liberating. I'm experiencing those same thoughts as I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I can fit all my assignments onto one page and THAT is such a great feeling. I love to learn but would rather do it at my pace and on my own timetable.

One class I'm required to take is a social justice class on diversity, and one of our assignments was to write a bio poem about ourselves. Introspection can be such a difficult thing to do. To sit and be still (1 Thess. 4:11) and really think about ourselves is not a comfortable task. As this blog title implies, I am not a human being but a human doer. Often at my book club I sit quietly while my friends talk about this show and that show and what should they watch next. When it comes to TV and movies I am really out of the loop. About the only thing I indulge in is a Utah Jazz game and a movie once in awhile. I've been trying yoga to help limber me up and that has been harder than I anticipated. Not the moves themselves but how slowly I'm supposed to move and how to really concentrate on my breathing. For a human doer, this has been a challenge. I hope that in all my doingness, that it's not about trivial things, but instead doing as Jesus did, going "about doing good" (Acts 10:38)

Melissa
Organized, diligent, confident
Daughter of God, Wife to Tyler, Mother to Kiersten, Erik, Nate, Ash, and Alex
Who loves traveling, gardening, and crunchy California rolls
Who's felt joy, uncertainty, and nervousness in the last couple of years
And who fears tight spaces, unemployment, and drowning
Who has accomplished 7 half marathons (with another scheduled for September), completed a college degree, and has been a consistent blogger for over 10 years
And hopes to one day visit New York City and Rome and continue schooling to get her reading endorsement
She resides among the salt of the earth in Lake Point, Utah
Leary

I found this exercise to be intriguing and had my second graders do something similar along with a self-portrait of themselves. So far this has been my favorite thing to hang in our hall.




No comments: