04 January 2014

A recipe mishap

With some of my other projects completed, I'm focusing on my recipe book. The format I've had is years old and I don't even use half the recipes anymore. I'm a little embarrassed to admit that revamping my recipe book has been in the works for several YEARS now. Not days. Not weeks. Not months. Years. And with the onslaught of Pinterest I've just got that many more recipes to put somewhere more accessible. I know, some people like using their computer or tablet as a recipe book. Not me. I spend so much time in front of a computer doing other things that I actually need a little technology break. Plus I can be messy when I cook.

Here's a funny story regarding that old recipe book. The other night Kiersten put herself in charge of making dinner while I was napping with Alex. After discovering some hamburger buns in the freezer she decided to make Tuna Burgers.

My recipe as written on the recipe card:
1 can tuna
2 T. onion
1/2 c. salad dressing
2 T. pepper
1/4 lb. cheese, grated
2 chopped pickles 
3 eggs, hard boiled and chopped
2 T. celery

Mix together and place on hamburger buns open face up. Heat under broiler until cheese melts.

My recipe might have been interpreted a little differently, thus the final outcome wasn't even anything edible. 

When I appeared on the scene, Kiersten was just finishing up except it didn't look like it was supposed to.

Her first question: "Do you really put salad dressing in this?" as her eyes wandered to the bottle of Lighthouse Ranch Dressing.

I guess I've failed to teach her that Miracle Whip is also referred to as salad dressing.

Her second question: "Do you really put that much pepper in there?"

Um, there shouldn't be any pepper. That recipe should really say BELL pepper. 

Next time she knows to question a recipe anytime it calls for 2 tablespoons of pepper.

She and Tyler took one bite and disposed of it immediately.

This could be a really good analogy for miscommunication and misunderstanding.

 

No comments: