29 January 2014

I've been cumbered about

If you live up to your privileges, the angels cannot be restrained from being your associates.
--Joseph Smith

Sometimes I really feel like I fail at this. There are many days when I'm running from one obligation to another, falling into bed at the end of the day without taking one minute, even just a small moment, to be still and listen for that quiet voice, those whispered thoughts and impressions. I wish I took more time to really contemplate, meditate, and ponder in order to let the Lord really guide my life. I know he could do more with it than I am.

I'm so afraid I've missed some great opportunities simply because I've been more Martha-like and cumbered about with much serving . . . in my family, in my calling, in my neighborhood, in my circle of friendships, with my pet projects. It's good to serve but even better to be more like Mary who came unto Christ and sat at his feet to be taught of him. Life is incredible busy but there should always be time for things of eternity.

When Kiersten turned 12 and entered the Young Women program, I thought it would be awesome to complete the personal progress for my second time with her and then again when Ashlyn turned 12 since there is 6 years between them.

Well Kiersten is now 14 and I haven't made any headway. Once in awhile I'll look at it but not in depth and certainly not to set any goals.

Tonight was New Beginnings, and ironically as I sat there during a talk by one of the leaders, I thought, "Oh well. I'm a little late getting started. I'll just try again with Ash." Shouldn't new beginnings be about starting over, a fresh start, a new perspective no matter the season, the time, the stage of life.

Our bishop then referenced a talk by Elder Uchtdorf titled "The Best Time to Plant a Tree."
An old proverb says, “The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second-best time is now.”
There is something wonderful and hopeful about the word NOW. There is something empowering about the fact that if we choose to decide now, we can move forward at this very moment.

Now is the best time to start becoming the person we eventually want to be—not only 20 years from now but also for all eternity.
After hearing that I had a new vision with fresh thoughts. Sure I feel like I fail a lot at a lot of different things (like not getting started on my personal progress). But that doesn't matter. I can start NOW to be different, to do things differently, to move forward.

I left that meeting tonight with a renewed commitment to start and hopefully finish with Kiersten. I'm going to have to play a lot of catch up since she has got a smidgin of head start on me. But that is no reason to fail and quit. I feel like as I sat in that quiet room, the environment was perfect for the Holy Ghost to tell me what I needed to hear.

No comments: