14 January 2014

DOC workout

When we were home for Christmas, my sister Katie mentioned a workout that can be fun and change things up from the norm.

Deck of Cards Workout.

She first described it to me and I thought it seemed fun but maybe a little wimpy.

Two weeks into the new year I decided to try it.

Oh. My.

I woke up this morning and could barely move the top half of my body. It was a good indicator of where I need to work out more.

It is definitely not for wimps.

So here's how you play . . . 

1. Get a deck of cards or any set of cards with at least 4 suits.

2. Assign each suit a different workout. Yesterday hearts were burpees (HATE THOSE!), diamonds were jumping jacks, clubs were sit ups, and spades were push ups. You can really do anything you want. Add some squats, lunges, planks. Whatever floats your boat.

3. Shuffle the cards and draw the first card. Whatever appears on top is the exercise you do and the number is how many reps you do of that exercise. So a 9 of hearts would mean 9 burpees. The jack, queen, king, and ace were all 10, but you can assign those numbers as well . . . jack = 11, queen = 12, king = 13, ace = 14 or even make them higher depending on your fitness level. Sometimes you draw several cards of the same suit IN A ROW and then it gets tough.

The goal is to get through all 52 cards within 30 minutes. I had most of my kids playing along with me so we didn't keep track of time, but I do know I gave up at around card 28 or 29 and went for a jog around out neighborhood. So much easier :)

No comments: