16 August 2013

A Classical kind of summer

Like I mentioned here, I finally finished Pride and Prejudice and watched this version of the movie that I pilfered from my mom eons ago:
And I thought it was okay. I liked it but didn't really see why everyone raved about it.

Kiersten got on board and read the book and then watched the movie. And in the meantime I had discovered a quasi-sequel to the book told from Mr. Darcy's perspective which I later discovered was actually a trio. These three books kept me pretty busy this summer.

I was hooked! Kiersten was hooked! My P&P partner and I watched every version we could get our hands on:

The verdict: Colin Firth in the BBC Masterpiece version is hands down the best Mr. Darcy. In fact after Kiersten was finished with our Mr. Darcy trilogy, we had to watch it again to see it from his view. I fell in love with it the second time around. Hands down one of my favorite movies.

We didn't stop with Pride and Prejudice and moved on to the Jane Eyre movies since both of us had already read the book and loved it.

Our verdict on this one: BBC Masterpiece again was our favorite. They tend to be longer, fleshing out more of the story.
This week we snuck this Jane Austen classic in (didn't care for it as much):
 
My family no longer knows what to think of me. I've watched 9 movies in 12 weeks (if you count the Colin Firth version twice), sometimes starting one as late as 10pm. This has been so uncharacteristic of me because anyone who knows me, knows I'm just not that into movies or late nights.

Maybe they've been all the wrong movies. I've got North and South sitting on my dresser and think I might indulge myself after my kids are safely tucked back into school next week.


2 comments:

Mary said...

Missy, I love your summer addictions! Once I started watching BBC masterpieces I would sacrifice sleep too:) Have you seen any of the Charles Dickens BBC movies? My favorite was Little Dorit. Highly recommend it!

Missy said...

Mary, I love recommendations. I will definitely try Little Dorit and any others that are your favorites.