25 May 2012

One May-niac month - Nathan

Nate also convinced me to accompany him on his field trip which I didn't mind since they were touring the new Natural History Museum that just recently opened.
Photo © Jeff Goldberg / Esto
It really is a cool building inside and out with over 1300 solar panels on the roof. I had to snap a shot of those fun things for Tyler because one day our home is going to have those.
This field trip I was in charge of 6 boys who for the most part were pretty well behaved.

Mrs. Young, the principal at Stansbury Elementary, has a certain way of handing out awards that make the kids nervous and catch even some of the teachers off guard. They got back their core test scores and she always starts with the kids who earned 90% or better in either math, science, or language arts. And then she'll go on to the kids who earned it in two of the categories and then all three.
So when she called Nate's good friends, Jeremy and Chris for math, but no Nathan I could tell he was a little confused. All the kids in the 4th grade know Nate is a math wiz. I continued to watch him and he made me proud as he congratulated his friends when they sat back down by him. He could have so easily have handled it differently. I also glanced at his teacher, Mrs. Douglas, who gave me a skeptical look that told me she was also unsure why he wasn't called.
However, as the awards ceremony continued Nate's name was called for scoring 90% or better in all three categories. Afterwards, Mrs. Douglas pulled me aside to tell me that Nathan was the only one in the entire 4th grade to score 100% on the math core test. Way to go Nate! Those scores have helped him also obtain a spot on the 10-member Lego League team this coming year, the same team that Erik was on last year as a 6th grader. To say that Nathan was excited to be asked to join Lego League is an understatement. He was ecstatic! He is in for a fun year next year.
Nathan with friend Tyler next to him and his "cousin" Levi. What fun it's been to have family in the same school.