27 May 2012

One May-niac month - Kiersten

Ah, I officially have a teenager in the house, and I'm loving it. I think this is only the beginning of some wonderful years. This year Kiersten decided she needed another birthday party. I obliged but left all the planning and invitations up to her. I did help out a little with the food, but she pretty much put that together too.

They tried out the new splash pad.
They played a game where three teams started with a pen and went around the neighborhood trading up to see who could come back with the biggest item. It was pretty fun to see what they came back with . . . cardboard boxes and lumber.

Kiersten made her favorite . . . Koolaid Pie. I'm not quite sure why Erik is lighting the candle or what he has in his hair. Looks to me from the photos that he wanted in on the party action pretty badly. Kiersten has a good group of friends and it's kind of weird to think that Erik is only 10, 11, 12 months younger than most of them.
Her big birthday present wasn't much of a surprise. I needed her to try it out to see if she liked it. She was in desperate need of a bigger violin since she'd outgrown the 3/4 size and had proven to both her dad and me that she was serious about violin playing. Wow! The difference in sound quality was amazing. The one we got her is so much more crisp and clear than the student violin she started with. We ended up paying double (ouch!, but worth it) and I let her start using it right away even though her birthday was several weeks away. I love listening to her play. It wasn't hard to talk her into playing an obbligato for one of our primary's mother's day songs.
And she also got to use it for her orchestra concert which was the night before her birthday. What a fun early present it's been.
Kiersten got several awards, one of which was for the fastest female keyboarder in her keyboarding class (70wpm). The funny thing is that she transferred into that class halfway through and rocked on all the timed tests immediately.

Even though this girl had a rough time with botched schedules and eating lunch basically by herself for half the year, she never really complained. I think she really loved 7th grade and is looking forward to next year. I love her optimism.

1 comment:

mommaquincy said...

What a cool birthday gift! and what a great girl!