26 May 2012

One May-niac month - Erik

Erik is officially a 7th grader.
I never did understand the big hoopla for 6th grade graduations. Here is Erik waiting for his name to be called as he proceeds up to the risers. Doesn't he look great?! He got that new suit for his birthday just a few days prior and has now worn it three times in three days. I think he might just like it.
Like Nate, he also had a teacher who was concerned that he wouldn't get the award he deserved. Mrs. Smith made a point to leave and walk up to the office to make sure his name would be called. I was standing in the hall as they called Erik's name for scoring better than 90% in language arts and science (math scores hadn't come back yet) when his teacher came back and asked if they announced Erik's name for both. I assured her they did. He also got an award for perfect attendance. I've never been a big fan of attendance awards. Next year I'm going to make a point to pull my kids out at least once during the year :) There is just as much learning (if not more) that can go on outside of the classroom as in.

*Just a little side note about the bullying. As Mrs. Young, the principal, was giving her speech she talked about the new initiative they had adopted this year in regards to bullying and that Mrs. ________ did a great job in heading it up. I had a silent chuckle to myself because Mrs. ________ is the mom of the ringleader of these boys who have tormented Erik for some time. Maybe she's not aware of what's going on with her own son and maybe she's tried to do something about it, but it comes down to everyone having their own choices on how they will treat others.

This year Erik turned 12 and wanted a basketball party to celebrate his birthday, so I came up with these invitations very quickly.

HE couldn't have been happier about how they turned out. And a basketball party it was. They stopped long enough to eat some pizza and open presents. With our big floodlight they would have played all night, but by 10pm I was exhausted and knew moms would be wanting their boys home.
When Erik got to class on his birthday, his teacher asked him where he was going for lunch that day. Kiersten had her last year and she remembered me taking Kiersten out for lunch. Erik said he would have gone to Panda Express except he had requested that I make orange chicken and General Tso's chicken for dinner. So his next favorite . . . American Burgers. You just can't go wrong with burgers and shakes.
He also got a backpacking pack so we are all excited to go backpacking . . . SOON! And I'm pretty sure Alex thinks it's his birthday. Next month buddy.



1 comment:

mommaquincy said...

What a fun party! Josh had a guitar one once; all the boys brought their guitars and played all night. It was hilarious!