01 January 2021

A couple of Nate's emails

12-21-2020
Almost Christmas

It is almost Christmas, although it sure doesn't feel like it. That part of being out here is definitely strange, but in a good way. This last week was awesome! 

Tuesday we had interviews with President Blake, which was really cool. He talked with me and Elder Gulbransen about some ways we could reach out to people in our area since they haven't been very responsive. Then, we spent the whole week inviting people to church for our Christmas program in church.

I got to do a musical number for church which was really fun. We also got a family and two other people to come to church in person, and a bunch over the zoom link. It was awesome to be able to invite people to come and learn about Christ during the Christmas season.

Lastly, we had a baptism Sunday afternoon. It wasn't our ward, it was the YSA, but our zone leaders asked me to do a musical number for it. I told them that the sisters and I were doing one for sacrament meeting, so they asked them and we did the same number at the baptism. It's been really cool to see all the success we've had. Both of our zone leaders have a ton of faith, and it shows by what they've helped us as a zone to do. There's been 4 people that got baptized in that building in the last 9 days, and we have more to come in the next few weeks.

I know that my Savior lives, that He was born in Bethlehem to Joseph and Mary, and that His birth fulfilled all the prophecies of the coming of the Messiah. My favorite part of the Christ Child is seeing how much the wise men were willing to sacrifice to come to Christ. I know that as we sacrifice more of our time to Him, by learning of Him and ministering to His sheep, that we will have the same joy that they did. I know He loves you, and wants you to be happy. In the name of Jesus Christ, amen. 

-Elder Leary 

* * * * * * * 

12-28-2020
Christmas!!

This week we got to go caroling in downtown Denver! On Wednesday we went downtown and sang while some people handed out wrapped Books of Mormon. (Book of Mormons? There's been quite the debate among my district about that) Anyway, that was a ton of fun to see the Capitol building and all the lights. We also went caroling on Christmas Eve, but just through some neighborhoods.

Christmas we had some zone activities and called our families, and it was such nice weather. I even went and played tennis a little bit since it was so nice. Needless to say, it was a very different Christmas than I've ever experienced, and I'm sure that can be said for almost everyone.

Lastly, with New Year's coming up, I'd encourage everyone to set some goals. Part of our nature is to continually grow and learn, and setting goals is a big part of that. My friend Elder Bishop put it best in his email so I'll let you read what he put.

If you don't feel like setting any goals, read this quote by Russell m Ballard:

“I am so thoroughly convinced that if we don’t set goals in our life and learn how to master the techniques of living to reach our goals, we can reach a ripe old age and look back on our life only to see that we reached but a small part of our full potential. When one learns to master the principles of setting a goal, he will then be able to make a great difference in the results he attains in this life.”

So set goals. (Elder Bishop, email entitled "In these troubling times...buy our product," 2020)

I want to ask each of you to set at least one realistic, measurable goal that will help you become more like Christ this year. I know that as we set goals and work towards them, we discover we are happier during the process before we even finish them. I know that goals motivate us, and above all, I know that as our goals involve becoming like our Savior, we will discover heavenly help when we most need it. You will not have to be perfect, many days you may not succeed in your attempts, but in the words of our Prophet, "The Lord loves effort." He will help you as you consistently strive to become like Him, no matter how often you may falter on that path. I testify of this in the name of our Savior Jesus Christ, amen. 

No comments: