02 June 2019

I'm Missionary Age Now!

**Scroll past the weekly letter to get to a bonus post at the end.

It was a great week. Elder Ward and I both had birthdays this week. I'm now 19, which means I would be just getting ready to leave if they hadn't changed the age to 18. That's nuts. We had birthday cake 3 times this week, so the members took real good care of us.


We also had a good week with regards to missionary week also. We found 6 new people to teach, and a few of them are really solid. 

So I have a pretty funny story about how we found Micah, who is the most amazing guy. He is super humble and genuine, and excited to learn more about us. 

So there is a guy in the ward here who is kind of crazy. He is always cracking jokes that make absolutely no sense and just saying a lot of nonsense. He's been trying to get us to come meet his neighbor with him for a few weeks now, but he didn't tell us anything about the neighbor or why he wanted us to meet with him. So we haven't really made an effort to go meet him.

Last Monday he called and asked if we could go over on Tuesday to meet him and we agreed. He then said "actually, I'm talking with him right now, here he is." So I talked to his neighbor on the phone and he seemed super cool actually. Then we went over on Tuesday and had one of the best lessons I've ever had. He is going to be my best friend, he is so cool. In fact, we are actually going fishing with him today. I guess the moral of the story is that you should even listen to crazy old guys, because they might have something important to say.

We also found this lady named Karen who has been working for a while on overcoming some things in her life. She wanted to come closer to God. She also wanted to know more about Mormons because she had heard some weird things. So we started teaching her. We helped her understand more about who we are and what we believe, and she didn't say a single thing the entire lesson that she believes that we don't believe also. It was a miracle. She needs the gospel in her life and is super open to learning it. We have a lot of hope for her.

We also are going to start teaching two kids of a member who is recently returning. They are some low hanging fruit that we are hopefully going to get baptized pretty soon. 

All in all a great week. We had zone conference, a meeting with half the mission, on my birthday. They all sang to me. It was terrible. I got a lot of emails and a few packages from home for my birthday, which brightened my whole week.
This is my best friend, Elder Barger, with one of my
last companions Elder Grant photobombing

I'm so grateful for this opportunity to serve a mission. I'm not distracted by things of the world, so I can really ingest the gospel a lot more. My testimony has grown a lot this week from my studies and just living the gospel day-to-day. I know that the Book of Mormon is true and I know that Joseph Smith was a prophet. I love and miss all of you, and hope you have a fantabulous week.

Update: We went fishing with Micah. I caught 6 largemouth bass that were pretty good size.

Micah was super cool and taught us some new things. The best part was that I saw my first gator though. It was a monster. It was swimming by while I was fishing and it saw me and did a beeline toward me. It came probably 20 feet from shore and just stared at me for a minute then swam over to the shore a ways away from me. I got some pretty close pictures. 







I'm tagging on to the end of this post because it's kind of a birthday post. This was the first year that we haven't celebrated a kid's birthday on their birthday. And it happened twice!! Kiersten was celebrating in Hawaii, a birthday-first-year-anniversary trip to visit Jason's mission.

Erik was in Florida on his mission. I was going to make his favorite Christmas morning rolls, a tradition for his birthday but discovered at 10pm that I had sent him all my butterscotch pudding so he could make his own. So no breakfast rolls for us. And then all day on his birthday I kept feeling like I needed to get home and make him his birthday pie. That didn't happen either. It was kind of a lame, rainy day.

We did finally catch up with Kiersten when they got back.

I'm just in this transition phase where life is changing . . . again . . . and it's not always easy.

I'm becoming my mom.

No comments: