20 June 2019

How we spend our anniversaries

Sometimes we vacation in fun places but lately it seems that Tyler and I find ourselves celebrating among the trees and plants. Just like I celebrate my birthday all month long, our anniversary celebration stretched over a few days.

For our actual anniversary we went to Red Butte Gardens and toured the grounds. The last time we were there was ions ago when Kiersten was small enough to straddle her dad's shoulders. Tyler reminded me that at that time he wasn't in to plants and trees and remembered that excursion being hot.

This time we came home with a few new plant ideas for our yard. And lucky for us, our local nursery had a few. Mock orange was my new favorite with it's irresistible fragrance.

Tyler also discovered they have his favorite tree in full stature. We haven't been so lucky on our property, killing 7 of them.

But it renewed our hope that maybe this last one will pull through. Keeping our fingers crossed.

This is also what our elderberry could look like as a tree form.

The next day we took the three younger kids with us to see the play Matilda at Hale Center Theater. What a delight! The acting and music was superb. We all walked away wanting to go again to watch the other cast and compare.

Friday and Saturday we hung together at the Tooele Valley Garden Tour. Tyler was in charge of securing some Lake Point sites, so in his fancy orange shirt we headed to South Rim to tour the homes out there first and then came back and visited with our Lake Point friends.


On Saturday, I brought along my friend Becca who loves gardening also and we made the rounds in Stansbury, Grantsville, and Tooele.

Twenty-two years. That's a long time, but not nearly as long as Brian and Laura who celebrated 50 years in March or Grandma and Grandpa Ellis who hit 70 last year. And my own parents have us doubled at 44. I love that Tyler and me have grown closer together through our common interest in gardening.

Don't you just love these grapes trellis's he made me for my birthday, er . . . Mother's Day.


No comments: