29 March 2018

Two courses down!

Just submitted my final paper for my classroom management class. Just 19 pages  long. And I submitted my big unit plan consisting of six lessons a few days ago. I've got a few days reprieve until I start my next classes. These next six won't be as long. A month here. A few months there. Several that are a week long. My science class got moved so instead of 4 weeks of class in June, I only have three. Hallelujah!

Of the two courses I just completed, the classroom management was hands down a favorite. I really enjoyed looking at different management styles and thinking through behaviors. I also spent the day really picking apart a classroom economy system I've been thinking about for over a year.

I met with my professor over Google Hangouts and she just about scared me off from doing it. She was afraid it was too complex for a first year teacher. After our discussion, I just about pulled it out of my plan. But then I decided that I've invested so much time and thought into it and I still had a great desire to do it. I appreciated her candor and decided to keep it in my overall plan with the idea that I might not implement it right away. As a first year teacher who is also finishing school, it might be a bit much.

But oh what fun! I talked through it with Nate and Ash for an hour today and they both helped me iron out a lot of details which is something I've known I had to do.

Monday I start an online reading course and in two weeks, I begin one about special needs in the classroom. That one should be interesting given the classroom I'm currently working in.

No comments: