14 March 2018

A new season of tennis

These boys of mine have worked their tails off all winter to be ready for this day. The day couldn't have been more beautiful for a tennis tournament (Nate's on the left and Erik is on the right . . . both playing at the same time . . . Nate playing 2nd singles and Erik playing first singles).




Unfortunately, tempers went awry during the first match and Erik had to suffer the consequences. I'm afraid the start of his tennis season didn't quite go as planned.

When he couldn't control his frustration for the mistakes he was making, his coach made the decision to pull him from the match with several sets yet to play. He also didn't allow him to finish the tournament and he had to write several apology letters before being allowed to practice and play with the team.

As a mom, I totally backed his coach and his decision. Coaches are not only coaching the sport, but they are coaching people. And I'm afraid Erik had a hard life lesson to learn here about self-control.

As a mom, I also hurt badly for Erik. I KNOW how much work and dedication he has put into this sport. He has been fully invested, and I KNOW he was expecting to play better than he did. I KNOW he's a wonderful young man who regrettably has more of his mom in him than he'd like or than I'd like him to have. I'm afraid I haven't always been the best role model on how to leash and tame the angry emotions that surface. I KNOW how badly he wanted to play and redeem himself. I also wanted to watch him play more. But I also believe in accountability for choices. He was told he would be pulled if he couldn't restrain himself and unfortunately, he had to learn that very difficult lesson.

Erik was paired with a player who was just as good as he. Everyone there knew that these two should have been playing in the championship match not the first round. I was impressed with the other coach who made a point to talk to Erik and got my number so that she can have Erik come and practice with her team. She knows how important it is to be able to practice against people with your same skill level.

And Bob. I can't thank him enough for the mentor he has been to both Nate and Erik. He gives of his time freely. I hope that one day my boys might pay it forward to other young men in the same way he has.


Nate finished the day winning his first two matches and losing the third. He took second place in second singles.

No comments: