10 December 2015

Secular Buddhism

Last Saturday I attended an all day workshop with Tyler about Secular Buddhism. When he first asked me several weeks about going, I was hesitant. I didn't want to be a part of a religion bashing session. After doing a little research on my own, I came to the conclusion that this wasn't what it was about and decided to go. I saw it as a way to strengthen my marriage that seems to be rocky at times.

We were following the GPS, trying to find the address, and as we turned on to one street, I mentioned that I bet we're going to Larry Miller's house. We had been by it a couple of years before when Jacob, my brother-in-law, took us to see the lights he had done (he used to work for the Miller group, doing stuff like that).

Sure enough. We pulled up and entered this beautiful home where one of the guests introduced himself as Bryan Miller and explained that after the passing of his dad, his mom had decided to move somewhere else. He wasn't the one doing the seminar but had instead offered the place to his friend, the lecturer.

We went around the group and introduced ourselves. It seemed a good portion had either left the LDS faith of were on their way out. As it came nearer for me to stand and make my introduction, I wasn't sure how I was going to portray myself to this group. Do I simply say my name and who I was with? Do I declare my religious affiliation? I decided to do the latter. This was not a time to shy away from my beliefs. I introduced myself as being very much LDS. I explained that I had taken a college class on world religions and that they've always been an interest to me. I also explained that I came with Tyler as a way to strengthen our marriage.

After a day of lectures and trying some meditating techniques, I came away feeling like Secular Buddhism shows someone how to live a great life. Many of the things that were discussed I wholeheartedly agreed with.

*You should have compassion for others and be joyful in their successes.
*You should look at life through the eyes of death as a way to make it more meaningful.
*Suffering is not something to be endured and is nothing more than life or events not turning out as you'd like.
*Be happy with what you have.
*Everything is interconnected. Yes, your actions affect more than just yourself.
*Everything is in a constant state of change.
*Meditation is a great way to still and calm the soul.
*Karma is nothing more than choices and their consequences.

There were some ideas that left me befuddled like a line in our material that said, "The goal of Buddhism is not to achieve happiness; it's to achieve liberation." Liberation from what? I believe the basic goal of most people is they just want to be happy. 

It seemed to focus inwardly . . . I can handle my own problems and suffering . . . The only thing we really have is now.

I also didn't really grasp the idea of wise and unwise . . . There is no evil or good in the world . . . Those are just labels. I had disagree with that. There certainly is evil and good. Someone who has made an unwise choice cannot be classified with someone who has made an evil choice. Hitler could be said to be unwise, but for someone who committed such atrocities against people, there is no other word to describe him other than evil.

This was just a cursory glance into Secular Buddhism whose aim is not religious at all. I'm sure I could attend many more lectures and classes and learn quite a bit more.

All in all I felt like it was good material on how to live a good life. But it didn't address where I came from, why I am here on this earth, or what life is like after I die. Those are important questions for me that my LDS faith answers at the moment.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Who Know What Is Good and What Is Bad
A Parable

". . . an old Chinese farmer lost his best stallion one day and his neighbor came around to express his regrets, but the farmer just said, 'Who knows what is good and what is bad.' The next day the stallion returned bringing with him 3 wild mares. The neighbor rushed back to celebrate with the farmer, but the old farmer simply said, 'Who knows what is good and what is bad.' The following day, the farmer's son fell from one of the mares while trying to break her in and broke his arm and injured his leg. The neighbor came by to check on the son and give his condolences, but the old farmer just said, 'Who knows what is good and what is bad.' The next day the army came to the farm to conscript the farmer's son for war, but found him invalid and left him with his father. The neighbor thought to himself, 'Who knows what is good and what is bad.'"

No comments: