12 December 2015

Buddhism and the lost ten tribes

Our lecture material from last week's Buddhist workshop said that Buddhism came to be about 2500 years ago or 500 bc.

Well, that got me thinking. And wondering.

Right now in our family scripture reading, we are in Exodus where Moses is preparing to lead the Israelites out of Egypt. One day we'll get to the part where the Assyrians come in and conquer and lead ten of those tribes away. What that exactly means, I don't know. But the date is somewhere around 721 bc.

So what if a group of people were led East to the area of India and China. It seems to me that every religion has one or a few things in common with each other.

Could Buddhism, which came from Hinduism, have originated with one of the lost tribes?

I don't know. But it's given me something to think about for a few days.

No comments: