05 April 2015

You remember him . . . You ALWAYS remember him

Today is Easter. A day of hope.

And General Conference. A day of soul-searching and commitments.

We got home yesterday from a little spring break jaunt to Zion National Park. I can now cross that one off my bucket list. One more to go and we will have been to all five national parks in Utah.

It's been a day of reflection and thinking and pondering and visiting with family. Thoughts about our recent excursion have been tumbling around in my mind and every time I come home from visiting the world, I'm in awe at its beauty. God really outdid himself. What's really sad, though, is my camera and my photo abilities just don't do it any justice. The eye is a marvelous thing in how it can capture the beauty all around.

We had hopped aboard our last bus in Zion and were headed out when our driver alerted us to some rock climbers making their way up the face of Zion's sheer walls. I am no climbing expert and couldn't even venture a guess as to how far up they were. I'll just say there were crazy high.
photo taken from ientours.com
As we watched them slowly navigate, it reminded me of a story my dad has shared from Gerald Lund in one of his books (Jesus Christ, Key to the Plan of Salvation).
[This] is an article from a medical magazine about "belaying" in mountain climbing. The belay system is the way a mountain climber protects himself from falls. Someone climbs up first, get in a firm, secure position, ties the rope tightly around his waist, and calls down to his partner, "You are on belay," which means, "I have you if you fall." The article told about Alan Czenkusch, a man who ran a climbing school in Colorado for physicians:
"Belaying has brought Czenkusch his best and worst moment in climbing. Czenkusch once fell from a high precipice, yanking out three mechanical supports and pulling his belayer off a ledge. He was stopped, upside down, ten feet from the ground when his spread-eagle belayer arrested his fall with the strength of his out-stretched arms.
"Don saved my life," says Czenkusch. "How do you respond to a guy like that? Give him a used climbing rope for Christmas? No, you remember him. You always remember him."
What a profound analogy for us. Like the belayer, the Savior stops our traumatic fall toward spiritual destruction and offers us a safe line back to him. And what can we do to repay him? Always remember him.

On this Easter Sunday, the way I can repay the Savior is to accept what he did and make it a reality in my life. Because of what I have felt and heard today in conference, there are changes that are necessary that will enable me to become the person Jesus Christ would like me to be as I remember him. As I ALWAYS remember him. May I have the guts and determination to think better, to live better, to be better.

* * * * *

A Secure Anchor by Elder Richard G. Scott

Where Justice, Love, and Mercy Meet by Elder Jeffrey R. Holland

No comments: