24 April 2015

Be where you'll say you'll be

For Christmas I gave Tyler a brochure from BYU that was a walking tour of all the different varieties of trees they have on campus.



So several weeks ago, he had an appointment in Provo with a credit union and Alex and I tagged along. As I was dropping him off, he noticed his phone was almost completely dead and he had no time to charge it. Since he didn't know how long his meeting would be, we decided to meet at Brick Oven several blocks away and then start our tour.

Alex and I went shopping and on the way back I decided I was early enough that instead of making him walk the couple of blocks, I would just pick him up at the credit union. I sent him a text letting him know where I was. Surely with only 5 or 6% power on your phone you can still receive a text message.

We sat and waited.

We drove around looking for free Wifi so I could get tickets to the Payson Temple open house.

We came back and waited.

After about 40 minutes I had a thought that maybe I should check the Brick Oven.

Oops. There he was. Waiting. For 40 minutes.

Before cell phones, we would always stress the importance of meeting places and being where you'll say you'll be. I blew that one. I was relying on a cell phone that was dead.

This week Ash called home from school, wanting to go to Ellie's house. She talked to Kiersten and Kierten gave the green light. Only problem is Ash had soccer practice. Our only problem turned into no problem. I would just go to Ellie's house and pick her up and take her.

Okay, no problem turned into a problem again when no one was home at Ellie's. So I drove to the elementary and peeked in Ellie's mom's classroom windows. Dark. I drove back to Ellie's and waited (Ellie's cell phone didn't work and I didn't have another contact). With 15 minutes left of soccer practice, Ash calls my cell to tell me she is at Ellie's brother's baseball game.

Hmmmm . . . . that wasn't the plan. She told Kiersten she would be at Ellie's.

Oops for Ash. After that little episode, we had to make some rules.

Number one:
Be where you'll say you'll be.
When you say you'll be there.
Doing what you should be doing.

No comments: