20 November 2011

Telephone hymn

Otherwise know as "Where Can I Turn for Peace?", one of my favorites.

My sister in law mentioned this hymn in a blog post and it brought back a memory from our days in downtown Salt Lake (seems like I'm remembering that place a lot lately).

Our LDS bishop was Bishop Meredith, husband to Jolene Meredith, composer of the song "Where Can I Turn for Peace?"

For Relief Society one Sunday she told of her experience in co writing that song with Emma Lou Thayne. Sometime in the '70s, she and Emma were asked to compose a song for the general board meetings for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. One day Emma called her to discuss the assignment and Jolene happened to be in her music room by her piano. Emma said a few lines of how the song should go and Jolene plucked it out on the piano.

This is how a very rough version of that song was first written . . . over the telephone.

No comments: