16 November 2011

Everything pumpkin

Kiersten is wondering what's gotten into me. Tonight I made pumpkin pancakes for dinner. Pumpkin has definitely been a recurring theme in my fall baking. And I'm not even a huge pumpkin fan. But in a week all that pumpkin is going to get waylaid by peppermint and chocolate.

So far I've made
  • pumpkin bread
  • pumpkin cookies
  • pumpkin muffins
  • a pumpkin dessert
  • pumpkin pancakes
And I'm sure there's a pumpkin pie in the near future for Thanksgiving.

I have to say the muffins were so simple and the pancakes were scrumptious. 

Pumpkin Muffins
1 box spice cake mix
15 oz. pumpkin
1 c. chocolate chips

Combine everything and fill muffin tins 2/3 full. Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes. 
 
Pumpkin Pancakes
2 c. flour
3 T. brown sugar
2 t. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
1 t. all spice
1 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. ginger
1/2 t. salt
1 1/2 c. buttermilk
1 c. pumpkin
2 eggs
2 T. oil

Combine dry ingredients and mix. Add buttermilk, pumpkin, eggs, and oil until combined. Lightly butter griddle and brown on both sides. Serve with butter, maple syrup, and/or nuts.

*I added mini chocolate chips as they were cooking. I also ate mine with whipped cream, slivered almonds, and a drizzle of a maple cream sauce that was so GOOD!

Maple Cream Sauce
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
5 tbsp maple syrup
3 tbsp light corn syrup

Combine all ingredients in a heavy sauce pan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until thickened and reduced by about 1/3 (about 15 minutes). Chill.

No comments: