02 February 2008

"Your friend died,"

to quote Ashie when we told her President Hinckley had died. Yes, my friend and prophet died. And what a friend he was to me and to all of us. I will miss President Hinckley. I will miss his optimism, his unwavering faith, his humor, his love, his humility, his example of untiring service. But how comforting to know that this church is a living church. It does not die with the passing of a prophet. It will go on. This past week I took Nate and Ashlyn with me to vote early. On the way home Nathan asked what I just did. I told him I was voting for a president. He paused for a moment and then said, "But I thought President Monson was going to be the president." I had to smile as I explained that I was voting for a president of the United States. It made me grateful that the church does not have to go through a voting process with candidates vying for the position. The Lord is at the helm and He is in charge. A new prophet will be called and I hope to sustain him with all my heart as I did President Hinckley.

No comments: