05 February 2008

I will go and do


"Without reservation I promise you that if each of you will observe this simple program, regardless of how many times you previously may have read the Book of Mormon, there will come into your lives and into your homes an added measure of the Spirit of the Lord, a strengthened resolution to walk in obedience to His commandments, and a stronger testimony of the living reality of the Son of God."
--President Gordon B. Hinckley, Ensign, August 2005

I came across a website someone has set up, encouraging us all to honor President Hinckley by reading the Book of Mormon in 97 days, starting Monday February 4 and ending May 10. I accept the challenge even though I just completed it the beginning of January. In May of last year I attended a class at BYU Women's Conference titled "Discipleship: His Love, His Work, His Heart," and one of the two presenters was Cindy Pennington, sister of Sheri Dew. During high school one of her seminary teachers challenged the students to read the Book of Mormon once a year, and she accepted and has read it each year so far. That hit me hard and I decided then I would do the same.

I was continuing my study of the Old Testament after finishing the BOM in January, but it will go back on hold for a few months as I reread the Book of Mormon. I truly do learn new things every time.

No comments: