28 January 2008

The Count of Monte Cristo

The reading of The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas has been a huge undertaking encompassing several months (1243 pages). I loved the movie and was expecting a book in similarity. I should know better. The book is always better than the movie. As I neared the end I couldn't help but compare it to a similar story in the Bible about Joseph. Both characters were betrayed by people who were supposedly close to them: Joseph by his brothers, Edmond by a man he worked with. However, Edmond chose to seek revenge while Joseph sought forgiveness. At the end of the book I concluded by the following words Edmond wrote to Maximilien Morrel that he wasn't content with the vengeance he inflicted. It didn't bring him the happiness he thought it would. Also, several times throughout the book he justifies his actions by saying he is only doing God's will.
"Tell the angel who will watch over you, Morrel, to pray sometimes for a man who, like Satan, momentarily thought himself the equal of God and who, with all the humility of a Christian, came to realize that in God's hands alone reside supreme power and infinite wisdom. These prayers may perhaps ease the remorse that he takes with him in the depth of his heart."
One suggestion I leave is to write down each character's name and how they are in some way connected to the Count. It started to get a little messy in the middle, and I couldn't always remember how certain characters figured in the story. Several times I had to go back and reread certain sections to refresh my memory.
I LOVED THIS BOOK! And will include it as one of my most favorites.

No comments: