08 February 2008

Irish ancestors?

That is the question that initiated my search of Personal Ancestral File and Familysearch.org and concluded with a visit to the Tooele City Cemetery.

Tyler was the top sales performer in pensions for 2007 and got invited to CUNA Mutual's President's Council . . . in Ireland, and I get to go! So I spent the afternoon researching and found ROBERT KENNEDY MCKENDRICK, my great-great-great-grandpa, born in Kimbo, Antrim, Ireland. The exciting part was I discovered he immigrated to Tooele where he died and was buried.
Ty and I made a quick decision while it was still daylight to head to the Tooele City Cemetery and find his grave.

As I was looking up plot numbers online, I came across another cemetery named Tooele's First Cemetery. Only 37 people are still buried there, including an infant son of Robert Kennedy and Agnes McGavin McKendrick.


This is the inscription on the Daughter of Utah Pioneers monument at the Tooele First Cemetery: As no plots were sold, families were required to dig the grave and use the next burial space. Several bodies were moved to the new cemetery.

Another find, another family, same Tooele City Cemetery, same row in the cemetery: PHILIP DELAMARE and MARIE CHEVALIER (another great-great-great grandpa).

After searching through my forebears, we did a quick search of Ty's pedigree, the Leary line in particular (Leary, O'Leary; sounds pretty Irish). Ironically, we found that most came from England, a few from Denmark, a few from Czechoslovakia, and none from Ireland. Yet through my pedigree (Seamons, DeLaMare), which is clearly English, I have an Irish ancestor.

What a delightful Friday night!

2 comments:

Jule said...

Miss-I'm so thrilled you found these graves. When I escape to the other side of the mountain with some time on my hands I would love to have you take me out there.

I remember how thrilled I was to find Grandpa Joseph Wyatt's grave in Hillsboro, Oregon. It was such a treasured moment of being close to someone I had researched alot on. It was actually your dad who had stumbled on it and he was as excited. Will you be able to make it to his place of birth in Ireland? When do you leave and for how long? We will have to have a cultural night with you and Matt both reporting on your world travels.--Jules

Angie said...

Wow! I cease to be amazed with you. You astound me at the things you do and the way you spend your time. I am excited for you. Way to go!