02 March 2008

The paralysis of hard decisions

Decision #1: Counter tops. We've decided to replace the counter tops in our kitchen, bathroom, and laundry room. Will we choose the wrong color? Should we replace the bathroom counter with a prefabricated granite counter instead of the quartz we are going to do in the kitchen? Do we pay to have the old counter tops removed?

Decision #2: Ireland trip. Do we extend our vacation and visit England? Are we brave enough to rent a car and travel the UK on our own? Will we return back to the States okay?

Why is it that hard decisions are hard to make? I think the fear of the unknown inflicts a temporary paralysis where you just have to leave those decisions on the table to revisit at a later time. And sometimes you simply must take that leap of faith and tread into the unknown. We've done so much vacillating between counter top colors that my eyes are a jumbled mess. And as far as being courageous enough to travel to another country BY OURSELVES, we try to teach our children to be brave, so I guess we'd better set the example.

But if those really are the hardest decisions one has to make in life, I'd count myself fortunate.

1 comment:

Angie said...

I love the way you write. I find myself laughing each time I get on and read your posts. As for the hard decisions, I can't blame you. But sometimes you just got to dive in and do it. It all works out in the end!