14 March 2008

Character Flaws

Showcase homes, luxury cars, trophy wives, immaculate yards, flawless features, perfect families.

Why is it that I feel more comfortable around people who aren't superficially perfect and don't pretend to be so. Probably because I know I'm nowhere near, although at one time I wanted to appear so. It was exhausting. I guess all the above mentioned items are meant to hide from the world (i.e, your neighbors and family) the insecurities on the inside. But when someone is honest about their their true character, when they have bared their vulnerabilities to me and don't try to hide behind some facade, I can connect.

With that now said, I can connect to our van. Our van now has depth of character.

I was attempting to angle out of the garage and miss hitting our plumber's truck parked behind me, while watching in the side mirror to ensure I didn't hit any bikes. I didn't take into account the fridge on the other side and I'm afraid the fridge won. Not even hardly a scratch. All Tyler wanted to know is where the orange twine was.
(our old green van)

I'm sure, as with all flaws, it will get fixed one day. But for now (even though it makes 
me wince every time I look at it), I can give a sigh of relief that I didn't hit the plumber's truck and that the first ding (can I say ding; it really is more than a ding) is over. Sigh, wince. Sigh, wince. Sigh.

P.S. Does anyone know of a reliable autobody shop?

1 comment:

Jule said...

Yes, there is one in Oregon. Our hometeacher there is very good. Maybe you need a little road trip before Dad moves home. Oh, this makes me think of you and the piano story and your dad and his trophy truck with the trophy deer. We are so much better like the battered violin to keep us humble and realize they are just things. It must always be worst though when you are the one to blame. We are always harder on ourselves then someone else.
Mom