18 December 2018

BS and the apology letter

I had a funny moment the other day in my class. I was sitting at my table helping two students catch up from being gone for a week while the rest of the class was working on various activities. Another student came over to me and said,"Mrs. Leary, some of the kids over there are writing BS. What does that mean?"

She caught me so off guard I wasn't sure how to answer her. First, my initial thought was why are they writing BS and second, how do they know what BS even means.

And then it hit me. I had changed my Daily 5 check-in form to include Book Shopping where students can exchange their books for other books in our library. To keep it short, they used the initials BS, and since I had just included it that morning, I didn't have time yet to explain to the class what that additional choice was.

I sure had a good chuckle with myself over that one.

And another good  moment came with my difficult student. He made the choice to color all over his desk with crayon which isn't very easy to remove. I gave him some dry towels and told him to go to work. I ended up pulling his desk away from the others. I kept very calm and I continually had to redirect him to his task. And then I finally had to tell him that I was going to let him stay in for recess (he does not like going out at recess and it's about the only thing I have to hold over him), but since he had destroyed his desk, he would need to go outside today.

His desk finally got clean again with the help of some classmates. During one of our rotations, he wrote me an apology letter telling me how sorry he was for coloring on his desk. THAT was out of the blue and very uncharacteristic. I feel like I have a good relationship with him that I can command some authority. But it hasn't been easy. My dad who was a teacher tells me to not let one bad apple ruin the whole bunch. And I say, yes, but didn't the Savior also go after that one.

It hasn't been an easy year, but I know it will be worth it if I keep up my efforts and prayers for this boy.

No comments: