16 January 2017

My full name -- Story #1

How do you eat an elephant?

One bite at a time.

How do you write your personal history?

One story at a time.

Family Search has issued a 52-week challenge to write one story a week. I've tried various methods over the years to record my personal history and am going to attempt to do so again. Not only is it good for posterity but who doesn't enjoy listening to personal stories when talks or lessons are given. Recall is going to be my stumbling block with this goal.

Nephi didn't begin recording his history until some 30 years later. Eight years in the wilderness; time on a boat; and time spent setting up a new life in a new place. Who's got time to write and record. I can understand why it took him awhile to get started. Lack of writing utilities I'm sure was also cumbersome. But I do believe that the Lord also wanted some time for his experiences to sit and marinate. With time comes perspective that allows you to really contemplate and reflect on experiences. The whole picture can be pieced together including the whys and hows which sometimes is quite impossible to do when you are smack dab in the middle of life.

STORY#1
What is your full name? Why did you parents give you that name?

My full name upon birth was Melissa Seamons. My mom and dad didn't believe girls should have middle names since they would have a long enough name when they got married. So neither me nor my sisters have middle names or initials. And that tradition has continued with both my girls -- Kiersten and Ashlyn. When I got married and eventually had to get a new social security card with my married name on it, I decided to include an S. as my middle initial which stands for Seamons.

The significance of my name is simply that my parents liked it. It was their intention that I would be called Melissa. However, Grandma Seamons began calling me Little Miss, Mystified, Miscellaneous, Missy -- anything but Melissa -- and my mom wasn't especially thrilled that the nickname stuck.

Nicknames are a big part of the Seamons family. I have a cousin we call Moose, another is Agnes; one brother named Mac, another Reedy-bug. Erik has been dubbed the Deadly One and Kiersten is Queen Bee.

I wish I could say I actually like the name Missy. It was fine as a child. I went to school with three other Melissa's so it was nice to be differentiated. As an adult, though, it's been hard to accept. I felt like I had this identity crisis, like I didn't know who I was. During my first week of college, my roommates knew me as Melissa until my mom called our apartment asking for Missy and no one knew who that was. Associations can be really hard to break and I still have a college roommate who refers to me as Melissa.

We moved to Magna and my church records identified me as Melissa. I never really corrected anyone until they would hear Tyler call me Missy. Our good friends, the Goldens, called me Melissa for a long time.

Since then I've corrected people from the start and tell them I go by Missy. That has worked for 10 years until I started substitute teaching. I always leave a note for the teacher about how the class went and now I had a dilemma. Do I sign it Melissa or Missy? In the system it shows me as Melissa, and in an effort to not cause any confusion I've signed my name Melissa. However, as I've gotten to know teachers on a first name basis, I will let them know I actually go by Missy.

Who knew a name could be so complicated!! At least there is little question as to whether I am male or female. And I rarely ever have to spell my name or pronounce it for anyone. I've come across a few doozies in my classes and feel badly for those whose names are way more complicated than mine.

Missy I am. And Missy I will always be.

These are the days of . . . 
*Covert trips to grandma's. Ash went without Alex for this 4-day weekend. We're all wondering when he's going to clue in that she isn't home.

*ACT tests. Erik took a practice ACT test and I proctored one of the sections. I came home with a test booklet for Nate to try at least the math.

*Not even an interview. I applied for a job as the librarian at Stansbury High School. I don't have a degree in library science and I don't have a license but I really think I could have done a great job and would have enjoyed it. I talked to the principal and they've already interviewed and will announce the new librarian next week. I'm bummed but not down-an-out. I'll simply move on with my other options.

No comments: