19 January 2017

Are you there God? It's me, Missy.

Today has been a rough day. I've been subbing every day but nothing popped up today which left me feeling a little stressed.

It's been snowing all day and the sun is taking a winter hiatus. Normally, I would relish a day like today. To sit home and drink hot cocoa with one of my many books I'm in the middle of. Maybe in another life where life is more secure and comfortable.

I wonder what good I am doing in my calling. For three months I haven't put a lot of effort into it. Frankly, I've been a little preoccupied with other earthly concerns. I'm squeaking by.

I feel like my prayers have been bouncing off ceilings and walls and floors and just not quite making it out the door. There are several items on my plate that I really would like an answer too, but God wants me to struggle on.

I get to look at this 2017 theme for a few days in my office before I tack it up at the church. If anyone lacks wisdom and understanding and assurance and peace, it's certainly me. I know those answers will come; sometimes it means getting out of the boat with a heart filled with trust; sometimes it means to keep paddling that boat even if it's in circles.

In the midst of my blue day, one of my Laurels tagged me in an Instagram post. The original post said, "When serving in the Church we have the chance to make a big difference. Tag a leader who has changed your life!"

That one little tag of encouragement made all the difference and brightened my soul. I love each one of them. This calling has given me a small glimpse into one aspect of the atonement, the individual sacrifice for each person.

Christ did not carry out the atonement for all of mankind as a collective whole. He did it one by one. That is how I have tried to minister to these girls. One by one. A dance performance here. A text there. A note in the mail. A sunshine basket for another. I've wanted them to know they are loved most importantly as an individual more than a collective whole as the Lake Point Young Women.

Life is good. I often tell myself on bad days that "this too shall pass." However, those good days "too shall pass." It is inevitable that there will be bad days intermixed with the good. I'm grateful for one of my flock who sprinkled rays of sunshine into one of my stormy days.

No comments: