03 May 2016

Kiersten's Junior Prom

Never did I ever think I would some day have a child go to prom. It was so far away. So out there. But it came . . . and went.

Kiersten was gorgeous. She was so dead set on finding an orange dress (her favorite color) but when she tried that blue one on, we both knew it was the one. It was a good fit and the color was beautiful. Several times throughout the week I had told Tyler that Friday night we were going to promenade. He couldn't quite figure out why we were going to prom.

Small towns still do a dance involving the juniors. I did it at my prom. I know at some they invite the parents to do one dance afterwards with their child. I told Tyler to be happy he didn't have to do that. Prom was at the state capitol building in the rotunda. Everyone participating in the promenade got their name read as they descended down the staircase. Kind of magical and fairytalelike. But I was so nervous for Kiersten, knowing she was in heels on a very slippery marble floor. I just prayed she would make it down the stairs okay.

All this hoopla of asking and answering and finding a dress and corsages and dates and hairdos made me think back to my own prom.

My first date ever was to prom. Josh Gordon, a sophomore like me, and I would sit in Brother Norton's Old Testament seminary class and talk the entire hour. I wasn't a very good kid so not sure why I ended up with an A+.

He asked me a week before prom (which was 5 days after my 16th birthday) with 3 roses at the school office. That didn't give me much time to find a dress. I'm sure my mother about went crazy with such short notice.
I was excited to go even though the look on both our faces looks painful.

I remember buying the dress through a catalog which was a good thing because the next year I wore it again for my own junior prom. My date was Mike Larson, a boy in my ward. 

I remember doing a progressive dinner and doing something afterwards at a friends house, but that's about all I remember. And maybe that's all I remember because I at least have this one photo.

Reminiscing is sure fun but man, I'd never want to go back to high school again. Although, a friend and I were talking this morning on our walk about living our lives over again but differently. I know if I ever had the chance to go back to high school, I would not be the same person that I was back then. I would be more self-confident, self-assured, more kind, and worry less about others opinions. I worry less about the trivial little romances that seemed to pop up and instead make more lasting friendships. And the permed hair! would definitely go. There is wisdom that comes with age.

Good things
photos
walks
journals

No comments: