22 May 2016

Missionaries

These stellar missionaries, Elder Mahi and Elder Vizzini, are the real deal. We got to feed them last week and absolutely loved having them in our home. Prior to them coming I asked what they'd like for dinner. One said absolutely no lasagna and the other hadn't had it since being out. I went with our standby of roast, potatoes, carrots, homemade rolls. They were in heaven. My kids were in heaven. This week I pulled the lasagna card when we had family over after Erik's priest ordination.

We also got a mini concert out of the deal (and unfortunately my camera decided to die halfway through -- so sad; for more of our Elders, visit
Be Still My Soul or Music Fireside). Both are so talented musically. Elder Mahi plays about eight instruments: "the organ and piano are just for fun." Elder Vizzini plays the flute, piano, and sings just like David Archuleta.

I went to a seminary morningside where they were the speakers. Elder Vizzini sang first and then when he started to speak, from my vantage point in the back, I watched all the girls in the audience start to ooh and aah over his South African accent. And Elder Mahi had just been transferred in the day before and gave a wonderful spur-of-the-moment talk on the law of consecration. I was very impressed. Not an easy topic.

The last set of missionaries we had in our home came from the Marshall Islands where my mom and dad were serving. My parents got to pick up these sweet girls and bring them to my house to spend the night before heading off to the MTC in Provo. What a humbling experience to have them here. They showed up late and I watched their eyes just try to take in everything. These are girls who grew up in modest grass huts. These are girls who do not know what running water is. Do not know how to flush a toilet. Do not know how to turn lights on and off. Who cook their food over an open fire. These are simple luxuries we take so much for granted.

I will admit I was a little embarrassed by our 6000 square foot home with all the bells and whistles. The next morning I woke up to find the light on in their bedroom. We asked them about the light, afraid they hadn't figured out how to turn it off. I guess one of them doesn't like being in the dark, away from home in strange beds. I hope she's adjusted, for her companion's sake.

They were so kind. The next morning when they discovered it was my birthday, one of them quickly went to her suitcase and brought out a skirt thing (I'm sure there is a name for it) and gave it to me for a gift.

These wonderful people who have nothing will give you everything they have without thinking twice. What a way of life. Things, stuff, possessions . . . none of that brings happiness. Living a life of goodness is the only way. So how do you repay such kindness? Well, you raid your food storage and bequeath the huge Costco-size Nutella you have sitting on your shelf. Now that is bliss and boy were they excited. I even got a Happy Birthday sung to me in Marshallese or whatever their language is.

One of them has been waiting a very long time to make it this far. So many hoops to jump through on the islands. They will both go back to Tonga or Fiji to complete their mission. Oh, I love missionaries and young people. They are some of my favorites.

Good things
summer
rain
fresh garden lettuce

No comments: