05 August 2014

Russell Glenn Seamons

A great man was taken home today.

Much too early, at the age of 64.

My uncle Russ (sitting next to my grandma above) was my dad's older brother by 2 years. Russ and the twins were quite a trio for a number of years.


He was fit and healthy and unfortunately was cursed with my grandpa's bad heart genes who died at age 55 from a heart attack.

Eight months earlier (almost to the day) my Uncle Russell suffered a major heart attack and lived to have a 6 coronary artery bypass operation.

I think we all thought he had defied the odds. In fact he was just given a good bill of health several months ago. The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh, and in this instance he took a very good man. One of the best. For several years he watched over my grandma as her health failed her (1928-2012). And for many years before that he routinely took tremendous care of my great-grandma Zetta Knowles (1905-2005). His was a life devoted to service.

I'm afraid I just might have inherited my family's bad heart genes. Awhile ago I was asked to participate in a cleft palate study. One of the things they did was take my blood and in return they sent me the results. Everything looked good except my cholesterol.

I have high cholesterol.

Nobody likes to hear that, especially someone disposed to heart failure. I'm really sad to see two of my besties get the boot, but ice cream and butter, you're just no good to me anymore. My sister in law told me if I keep running and eating healthy I'd be fine.

I'm afraid that ain't so. Family genetics trumps everything.

No comments: