28 August 2014

Paul Bay Ellis

Today was a long emotional day as Tyler and me and Alex attended another funeral.

Another great man has been called home. And again he left much too early at the age of 51.

We got the news last Friday morning that Tyler's Uncle Paul had passed away.

His wife Amy had come home from work to attend a funeral and found him unresponsive. The paramedics were unable to revive him.

Tyler got his first finance-related job with Washington Mutual Bank because of Paul, who worked in some capacity for them. Many of the employees would in fact confuse Tyler for Paul. Apparently they look somewhat alike :)

(Photo taken by Camilla Gomez Bottelberghe)

As I've been thinking about the loss of two great men, my Uncle Russell and now Tyler's Uncle Paul, I've been deeply saddened for their families and for the experiences and life they miss out on. I feel for their grandchildren who will never know their grandpa and for wives who will grow old alone.

Life is precious. Life is fragile. Life is not to be wasted.

The true tragedy is a life taken too early who was not yet ready to go. Both of these men had their lives in order. They had their priorities straight. I hope they both left with no regrets.

Yes, I truly believe in life after death. I know that families are eternal and one day we will have that chance to become reacquainted. Death is not the end and what a glorious thing that is. What a magnificent gift Jesus Christ gave to everyone one. As my dad said in the talk he gave at Russell's funeral, those who pass on are simply on the other side of the wall. They're not that far from us.

I've also been contemplating the characteristics of these two men, and thinking about what I'd want others to remember me for, and there seems to be a common theme between the two of them: service. Both devoted their lives to the service of others.

Russell was generous to the core. He gave so much of his time and money that his own wife, my aunt, didn't know about a lot of it. And Paul was the auto mechanic, roofer, plummer, electrician, all-around handyman for his friends and neighbors who are going to sorely miss him. He was generous with his boat and came every summer to East Canyon to take anyone who wanted out on the lake.

Isn't that what the gospel is all about?

Isn't is about serving and helping elevate others and bringing joy and happiness to those in our circle of influence.

I believe these two men were some of the happiest because they knew what love was and what is was to love as Christ would love, through a life devoted to others.

Looking outward instead of inward . . . that's where the meaning of life lies.

No comments: