24 January 2012

Family pics

So I decided it was about time that we added Alex to the family. I mean he'd already been with us for over a year and the old family photo was still hanging on the wall minus one.

We'd always done the Sears Portrait Studios route and have never had anything to complain about. But this time I wanted to try something outside and knew my sister-in-law was a great photographer. She agreed to do them. They turned out wonderful and I couldn't have been more happy with them. I just wish it wasn't such a huge process to get to the finished product.
WARDROBE. I should have taken a picture of all the clothes that laid on my bedroom floor for two months as I matched and rearranged and coordinated all the fabric and styles and colors. I didn't want to be matchy matchy, but I didn't want to clash either. It's a big job trying to get it all to look great.

LOCATION. I scoured the internet looking at photos and decided on Memory Grove in downtown Salt Lake. I'm a little embarrassed to admit that we had lived five minutes from there at one time and I had never been. It was a beautiful place with some fun things. We even took a quick drive one night to check it out. However, the photos of the kids didn't turn out as expected so one night when Linda was at our house, she snapped some of the kids in our backyard which turned out fantastic. I loved Alex's lip in this one.
DAY AND TIME. Timing is critical for outdoor shots to be able to capture the right lighting. We decided on a weekday evening when it wouldn't be too crowded.

DECIDING AND ORDERING. After all that I had to decide which prints I wanted and what sizes. It was such hard decision when there were so many great ones. Linda surprised us by printing two different family photos. The one we had chosen had a minor flaw that nobody but her would have noticed, but this way I can hang one for half of the year and then switch since one was fall-like and the other looked like spring.
Oh, I am not looking forward to another family photo shoot. I like these so much that they may hang in our home for a long time.

No comments: