10 January 2012

The death of a pet

Kiersten broke my heart this morning when she came down the hall holding Fermie.

"I think she's dead," she said with tears in her eyes as she continued to stroke her gecko.

The scene reminded me of Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men when Lenny has killed his pet mouse and he just continues to stroke it, as if that might help resurrect it.

This was the kids' first pet, even if it was a shared pet with the neighbors. There were lots of tears when we broke the news to Cambree and her family. The girls gave their gecko a proper burial out by the apple tree (and learned how hard it is to bury anything in the middle of January due to rock solid ground).

One of the worst things about being a parent is seeing my children hurt and cry and experience heartache. I just want to shoulder it for them. I want them to live wonderful, happy lives where there is no hurt or pain or sadness. But I also know that it is the hurt and pain that helps us to grow, to learn compassion and understanding.

It has been a hard day.

No comments: