25 March 2011

parent teacher conferences

Last night I had three parent teacher conferences to attend. And they all started out the same. "You don't really need to be here," yada, yada, yada.

No, really, I didn't need to come. I have amazingly good kids who do amazingly well in school. However, there were a few behavioral issues to address like Ashlyn's teacher, Miss Whomack, informed me she is Bossy Britches sometimes, and Erik's teacher, Mrs. Emery, disclosed that  he needs to stop bugging his classmates after getting his assignment done.

But it was Nathan's teacher, Mr. Mettler, who actually brought imaginary tears to my eyes. He couldn't say enough good things about Nathan, about how he wanted an entire classroom of Nathans (not really, because that would be boring). But then he went on to tell Nate (or actually remind him) of a little story he tells the class about doors which reminded me of the doors on people's homes when we were in Ireland. I never got a really great shot, but the one way the people of Ireland show their individuality is through their front door which is usually painted in very bright colors.

Anyway, it went like this:
Someone like Nate who is bright and at the top of the class can walk into a room with many doors and be able to pick which one, or two, or three he'd like to open. It could be a doctor door or a lawyer door or a teacher door or an astronaut door or a president door. They can become anything they choose to become.But someone who isn't at the top of their game and is just sliding by will not have as many doors to choose from. He strongly encouraged Nathan to keep up his excellent work and to push himself to greater limits. Wow! I knew I liked this teacher but now I like him even more. I like how he'll give them little life lessons.

We talked about how hard it is for me to keep him in books. I'm constantly trying to find new books for the kid to read. Nate's teacher recommended several of his favorites: The Kingdom Keepers and Peter and the Starcatchers. Then he paused, reached upon a shelf behind him and grabbed the two books mentioned and GAVE them to Nathan. I increduously asked, "You mean he can keep them?" And Nate's teacher said he loves to give books to children who love to read.

I couldn't ask for better teachers for all my kids this year. It has just been a fabulous year and I would love to give them all something for it. I don't think I've ever given a teacher an end-of-year gift, but I would love to this year.

Maybe a book?
 I love that my kids enjoy participating in the same after school activities (and will be so sad when Kiersten graduates to junior high and will no longer be participating, sniff sniff). The latest has been chess club where they all came home winners. Erik took the grand prize of first place, Nate came in third, and Kiersten fourth. And can you believe the prizes they scored. Erik's teacher is in charge and when I asked about the funding for the chess club at parent teacher, she said it was her own moolah. Wow, another great teacher.

No comments: