17 July 2009

Confessions of a Binge Reader


Information does not necessarily equal truth or goodness. With a wealth of information now so easily available at our fingertips, we must be careful and even prayerful in our pursuit of knowledge.
  • Will this help my children and I grow closer to Heavenly Father and His Son?
  • Will we appreciate God's creations better after reading this?
  • Will this help my children and me to understand and love our brothers and sisters more?
  • Will we be better children of God because we've read or studied this?
Perhaps the most important question we can ask as we seek learning in our homes is this:
  • Is the gospel of Jesus Christ at the center of our learning?
I found this passage in a book titled Mothering with Spiritual Power by Debra Sansing Woods. I agree with her that we have to be selective in the things we read. The litmus test I give those things is whether it is "virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy," this is the reading material I seek after. I'm not afraid to put down a book if it doesn't meet the criteria.

The book for book club last month was The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison. I had started a book by her before and couldn't get past the language. I was torn with this decision. Do I read the book so I can contribute to our discussion or don't I? I struggled for a few days and eventually decided to not read the book. And I feel like I made the right choice after hearing my book club's views of the book. Nobody liked it due to the subject matter which wasn't very "virtuous."

One of our favorite pastimes is the library. I believe so strongly in reading and wanting my kids to be readers and learners that we decided to pay the out-of-county fees at the Salt Lake County Library just to have more variety. In addition they each have their own card and library bag. I, myself, might be considered a binge reader. I've loved to read ever since I can remember. I would hole up in my room downstairs and read and read and read when I was a kid. My family called me a hermit. As a mother, some days I wish I could hole up in my room and read and read and read. But only if all my other motherly duties magically got done. Below is a picture of several books I'm currently in the middle of. I'm not one to read one book at a time.

1 comment:

mommaquincy said...

I agree that reading should be uplifting. I have a hard time reading anything with bad language or content, but I find that I read for escape and rest from life and I seem to do that best with murder mysteries. I'm not sure about the uplifting, but they are intriguing!