01 November 2020

Cold Weather and Corona

What a strange week it's been!

Last Monday night, Elder Hales started feeling mild symptoms of COVID,  and we went to get tested the next day. They couldn't find our results in the system when we called, so we went back to get retested, and on Saturday morning we got the news we had tested positive. We were honestly not that surprised; we've both been super tired all week, and Elder Hales has had 9 of the 11 symptoms. He got worse throughout the week but started to feel a little better Saturday and Sunday.

We've quarantined from Tuesday on, and we'll continue until next Tuesday as far as I'm aware. With that being said, it has been a frustrating week. I haven't felt super sick, so I've still tried to do some missionary work, but with almost no success. With all our member lessons last week, we asked if we could call and share a quick testimony instead since Elder Hales was sick, but out of 30 lessons we now have set up, we only were able to call 4 of them, everyone else cancelled or just didn't answer. It's been super strange to be out on a mission and to want to serve and share the gospel, but to have no energy and be unable to leave our apartment. This week I have definitely turned to prayer more, though, and I'm grateful for this challenge and what it's done in strengthening my relationship with my Father in Heaven.

In other news, our zone leaders called yesterday to check on us, around 11:00, and I heard someone in the background say how cold it was. We opened our blinds for the first time that day, and what do you know? There was SNOW everywhere. I'll admit, I did not see that coming! My first thought was maybe we could shovel the sidewalks at the church, but then I remembered I'm kinda in this quarantine thing.

I realize this might have sounded a little depressing which isn't really what I want. I honestly had some of the happiest or most peaceful moments of my mission this week. They were kind of random little moments and reminders that I still have a Heavenly Father that cares about me. I know even in our hardest trials that He is there for us, and that you can still feel joy! I testify of that in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

Love you all!
Elder Leary

No comments: