14 November 2020

Taco Bell and Roger

Hello everybody!

We got out of quarantine last Monday, and it has been so nice to have a normal week again. We're both feeling back to 100% normal by now, and we had a crazy week!

On Wednesday we got to go to Barr Lake State Park, where we helped build a split rail fence and lay down some decomposed granite for a trail. I think it was decomposed granite anyway, don't quote me on that. It was so nice to get out and just do something physical for once.

On Thursday we went and raked some leaves for people, and I got to go to my first district council with my new district because Elder Hales and I have been quarantined since transfers.

Friday we found out we had surprise interviews with President Blake, and afterwords we went to Taco Bell with Elders Beal and Ellis. We pulled out from the street next to Taco Bell and made a left turn into the middle lane, but another car from a street on the other side didn't see us and tried to make a left turn as well and hit into us. The streets were a little off center so we were both turning through that lane in the same spot, but we had actually turned and slammed on our brakes when we saw him. He had just started to turn and didn't see us until the last second. We're all fine, it was just a little bump, and he didn't really have any damage. He hit the front and twisted his license plate a little, but we were turned already and he put a dent in our front bumper. We had turned first and actually tried to stop so I think he's at fault, but I don't know what that'll mean for fixing the damage, or if it's even necessary. It was the first "wreck" any of us had been in, but it was an interesting experience. We filed it online and exchanged insurance information, but we're still waiting on the mission office to hear about what will happen.

On Sunday Brother Thatcher brought someone to church! His name is Roger; he works with Brother Thatcher and approached him about our church because he's trying to change some things in his life. Brother Thatcher invited us over to his house after to talk with Roger, and it was so much fun. We taught him about our church and answered some questions, and talked a lot about what changes he wanted to make and how he was going to be able to do that. It was the first time that I've taught someone since coming out, and the first members house we've been in. It was so much fun!

In closing, with Thanksgiving around the corner I want to say how grateful I am for all of you, my friends, family, neighbors, and examples in life. I am so grateful to be out here serving and to have the chance to meet all these new people. I'm grateful for the chance to live in this time where we have so many blessings that we too often take for granted. Above all, I'm grateful for my Savior, for His teachings, His atonement, and His death and resurrection. I can't imagine a world where I couldn't lean on Him to support me as I try to change, and where I would live without the knowledge of life after this one and eternal families. I know He lives, He loves you, and He's reaching out to you. I say that in His name, Jesus Christ, amen.

All my love,
Elder Leary

p.s. I think all you Utahns got a bunch of snow but it hasn't hit us yet so we'll see what we're in for.

p.p.s. Also some missionaries are leaving for their assigned country, I'm not on that list yet, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Australia!

 


No comments: