13 May 2019

State tennis

Well, it's another wrap for tennis. Our region has some tough competition with both Bonneville and Park City. Nate took third in region for 2nd singles which gave him a spot at state tennis. Last year his first match was against the kid who took state which ended his state run. This year his first match was INTENSE. It was so reminiscent of Erik's state match last year. Nate split sets which sent the match into a third set. To win, it's the first player to six games, winning by two. At the end of the third set, they were tied six games a piece. This entails a tiebreaker game where the typical scoring is put aside and it then becomes the first player to get 7 points, winning by 2.
The score was 5 to 6 with Nate down a point. His opponent went to slam it on him for the win, but put it into the net instead and cramped a muscle at the same time. It took about ten minutes before he felt he could finish the match. They were now tied 6 to 6. Nate defaulted on his serve, giving his opponent another advantage. Nate held on to win 10 to 8 after a 2 1/2 hour match. My heart has never pounded so much. When I first became a tennis mom trying to figure out how tennis was scored, they were many times I had no idea who was winning. But once I figured out the game, my heart became a little more involved and got a little more of a workout.

I was anticipating a year like last and had made alternative plans for the day. After his win, I ecstatically messaged Tyler and Kiersten and Jason. They were all able to make it to his next match. He won the first set closely, but then muscle fatigue set in and he dropped the next two sets and therefore the match.

Nate played hard and tough and he's only a junior. He's got next year. Plus, Bonneville and Park City who won state in both 1st and 2nd singles are moving up to 5A next year.

And in other news, my transcript has been finalized at Weber. I am officially done!! I guess I can take this off my board now. I thought I was going to have a quiet summer until I learned last week that I am moving classrooms. So now I have a classroom to put together.


No comments: