31 October 2017

Mamma Mia and Angel's Landing

Can I just say I love my family. I love having a mom and sisters and daughters who are always on board with my ideas. I left the boys to fend for themselves over UEA weekend and took off for sunny, warm St. George for some bonding, laughter, and to forget about life for a few days.

With a car full of crazy women, crazy things are bound to happen. Stuck in the middle of the freeway with stop and go traffic, we needed a little diversion so we unrolled the windows, cranked the volume, and shared our love of Abba with the world around us.

When I purchased the tickets to Tuachan's Mamma Mia, I had no idea that front row really meant front row. We've all been in love with the movie and to see the play was just as good.

When we visited Zion's several years ago, Kiersten decided then that she wanted to conquer Angel's Landing (or Hell's Landing as I coined it) at some time in her life. I broached the idea the next day and we were off. Two miles up with a half mile to go, I seriously just about called it quits. When I saw this view, I knew my heart could not take whatever it took to get to the top, and frankly I was shocked that they let anyone navigate that last half mile unsupervised.

But my trusty comrades, or should I say naive billy goats, coerced me to the top.

Our bishop, who I discovered is terrifically terrified of heights, summited with the priests this past summer. I figured if he could get this picture of Erik, I could also conquer this terrifying feat. 

All I could think about as I clambered up this mountainous precipice was please don't slip and fall and two, what comes up, must come down. I also refused to glance down as I was headed up lest I get vertigo, plummet to a tragic death, and become an angel myself. 

The tricky part of the entire climb was negotiating around people ascending and descending all while not letting go of the safety chain. 

It's a long way down if you do.


But the view was worth it. Spectacular.


Would I do it again?

It's like childbirth. Immediately after my feet were planted on more stable ground I said no way. But time has a way of erasing those fears and thoughts. I might could do it again.

No comments: