01 October 2017

God doesn't do random

I was given a couple of tickets to the General Women's Meeting in Salt Lake (which is now technically the first session of General Conference) and treated my friend Lisa to dinner and then conference. She has dealt with a lot of really hard things in her life and is one of the strongest women I know.

She is working her way back to activity and told me afterwards how she wasn't sure about coming, but after listening to the talks, was so glad she came. The spirit is so cool how it can touch us all in different ways. God knew she needed to be there and made it possible for us to go. There was no randomness in having my neighbor across the street sit next to me at stake conference the week before and offer me her two tickets.

I love to listen to Sister Neill Marriott, with her southern accent, speak about her short comings and the authenticity that flows from her. This particular night she spoke about a relationship with a family member gone sour. I guess I never imagined anyone who is in that position to have struggles of any sort. But isn't it these hard things that make us strong? A life of ease will never mold me into who God needs me to be.

As I waited in the foyer for a moment, I was drawn to this painting by Brian Kershishnik. Continuous heavenly help is always with us during our difficult times. Our heavenly father loves us with a love that is immeasurable. He has not left us to toil alone.


My favorite talk from the general women's conference was Sister Eubank:

"Finally, my dear sisters, may I suggest to you something that has not been said before or at least in quite this way. Much of the major growth that is coming to the Church in the last days will come because many of the good women of the world … will be drawn to the Church in large numbers. This will happen to the degree that the women of the Church reflect righteousness and articulateness in their lives and to the degree that the women of the Church are seen as distinct and different—in happy ways—from the women of the world." -- President Kimball

“You don’t … build out of pessimism or cynicism. You look with optimism, work with faith, and things happen.” -- President Hinckley

The prophets are calling on us, my sisters.
Will you be righteous?
Will you articulate your faith?
Can you bear being distinct and different?
Will your happiness in spite of your trials draw others who are good and noble and who need your friendship?
Will you turn on your light? -- Sister Sharon Eubank

Additional talks that spoke to me this conference
*Elder Rasband
*President Uchtdorf
*Bishop Waddell

*Elder Zwick
*Elder Ellis

No comments: