18 June 2017

Fathers

This has been the week for the fathers in my life.

Monday Tyler and I celebrated 20 years of marriage and for 18 of those he's been the father of my children. Last fall I was in the early stages of planning a celebratory trip to somewhere but that came to a screeching halt when a job loss thrust itself upon us. Instead we bought ourselves a tree to plant (which is a little more permanent anyway) and went to a play at the Desert Star Playhouse.

That little tree is another white fir to match the others in the back area that is slowly becoming our "camping" spot. He also surprised me with a picnic table and some quote posters for a classroom I hope to have some day.

Tyler is patient, good-natured, and works hard for our family. Our kids enjoy quoting movie lines with him which unfortunately go right over my head, and he is great to include Erik and Nate in his weekly basketball group of guys.

My dad celebrated his 65th birthday on Tuesday and now has full access to all the senior citizen discounts. Oh, how fortunate I am to have him around as he wasn't so lucky with his own dad. He is one of the hardest working people I've ever known and I give credit to him for my strong work ethic. He taught me how to get up early, work hard, and have pride in a job well done. He often worked right along side us which is something I've tried to do with my own kids.

The man never tires of creating new things:

tree houses . . . then

and now



swimming pools . . . then



and now

sand boxes

He isn't a man who needs much. This was a tv he got for one of his birthdays that we had for years and years. I think it might be smaller than the screen on my laptop.



He made camping fun.



He was and is a spiritual leader in our home, expounding the scriptures to us which helped me develop a love for the gospel. He is my rock and the mentor I turn to for advice. His unwavering steadiness is a trait I admire greatly in my dad.

His own father passed away very young when my dad was only 31.

I can't imagine what that would have been like to not be able to call your dad for help and assurance. He had to navigate the land of fatherhood basically on his own and I think he's done a pretty swell job.

I love both of these men in my life who take the title of father.

No comments: