03 April 2016

The increasingly faster merry-go-round called Life

My life feels like a book left out on the porch, and the wind blows the pages faster and faster, turning always toward a new chapter faster than I can stop and read it.
-- Nancy E. Turner, These Is My Words

*I started another book club with the ladies in my neighborhood. I'm not sure what I was thinking, like I've got time for one more thing. But I'm excited. I love books and I love to read. Just wish I could carve out more time.

*Tyler is busy getting our yard ready for June. We signed up to be in the Tooele County Garden Tour and that means devoting some time to yard work.

*Ash turned 11. Holy moly. I can't believe next year she's gonna be in young womens with me. She scored a lunch date to Costa Vida.

*Erik is in full swing with tennis, playing 3rd varsity singles. After talking to his previous coach, sounds like that's not a bad place to be. He still has room to grow without all the pressure. Unfortunately, it also means some stiffer competition from last year. Undefeated is no longer part of his vocabulary.

*Kiersten and shopping go together like oil and water. Finding time to do it is nearly impossible. We had a date set to go prom dress shopping Friday after her piano lesson. This meant I could catch some of Erik's tennis match. Just as I was pulling out to go, she came home and her lesson had been cancelled. No tennis match for me. That extra half hour was a god send, enabling us to get to two places instead of one before they closed.

The second store was gold. She was pleased and I was ecstatic that I didn't have to find a third place to browse. She is gorgeous and will look stunning in a couple of weeks.

She also received her ACT score back this week: a 32!! 

Just what she wanted. That puts her in the running for a full tuition Presidential scholarship from USU. The science portion that she thought she bombed actually went up a couple of points.




*Nate and Ash took an international math test. Not sure they did all that great and not sure we'll do it again.





*Church basketball is over for another season. I always love when the games start and I always love when it comes to a close . . . just in time for soccer to start.

*Alex won the Girl Scout Thin Mint cookies in our family for March Madness. His secret: I take time when I fill it out my bracket and pick good teams. Oh, how he has gloated. When three of us picked Michigan St. to win the whole thing, it was pretty much downhill from there when they lost in the first round. As a side note, Alex also told us how he doesn't ever want to visit Indiana. And why is that? Because they have Indians, duh!


*Nate had Solo Ensemble and Kiersten graciously agreed to accompany him so I wouldn't have to. Love having talented musicians in our family.


Our latest craze is the ukulele Ashlyn got for Christmas. I've learned enough that I serenaded her on her birthday by playing Happy Birthday.

*Me and the girls joined Grandma Jules and Natalie on an impromptu Thursday-night-school-night date. We all love the show My Big Fat Greek Wedding. The sequel came out, mom was in town for a surgery, and spontaneity was the name of the game. Sometimes those spur-of-the-moment activities are the best. The movie reminded me so much of the show Mamma Mia that I belted Abba tunes all the way home with my girls, who got home much later than their typical bed time.


*The family relished in the San Diego sun during spring break. But that's another post for another day.

Good things
sunshine

beaches
yard waking up

No comments: