16 April 2016

Baptisms

Last Tuesday our youth went to the Salt Lake Temple to do baptisms for the dead.

How lucky we are to live so close to so many temples. My parents talk about how difficult it is for the people in their mission to get to the Fiji Temple and how hard it is to get home some times. One man missed the boat, or something like that, and ended up having to wait six months to get home.

Thank heavens it didn't turn out quite like that for one of our little deacons.

Deacon Josh and a some of his friends were playing in the elevator and Josh got separated and couldn't figure out where he needed to go to get back to the car. 

Meanwhile, the rest of us are scrambling into cars and making our way to the exit to not miss ice cream at the Arctic Circle. Before leaving the temple grounds I had reminded all the drivers to make sure they had their parking token. So I couldn't figure out what the hold up was with Brother Fryer in front of me. You could see them searching and looking under seats. One girl got out and continued to scour the car. This went on for about two minutes while we waited patiently.

The attendant finally made her way over and let them out. I paid my token and Kathleen and Liz, my two counselors, were in line behind me to leave the parking garage.

Now remember, at this point I had no idea Josh was lost.

We made it to Arctic Circle where Liz had to tell me what happened after I pulled out. Kathleen repeatedly tried to put her token in the machine and it kept spitting it out. Again, the attendant made her way over and kindly told her she was using a quarter instead of the token. Sheepishly, Kathleen found her token. But before putting it in, Josh comes running across the parking lot to their car. It was then that he explained how he had become separated from his group and couldn't find anyone. He was a lost boy.

None of us knew he was lost (except his leaders who were driving round and round the parking garage trying to find him). But the Lord knew he was lost and needed to get home. I believe these two separate token issues -- one in front of me and one in back of me -- gave Josh enough time to discover his way out.

Don't you just love how the Lord works? Don't you just love the tender mercies he gives us each day? He is so aware of our circumstances and needs and always finds ways to bless us. God is Good!

*And to his credit, Brother Fryer did have his token. He had handed it to the girl in the passenger seat who accidentally let is slip between the seats. And no, that is not Josh in the picture above :)

Good things
temples
light
teenagers

No comments: