29 November 2015

Thanksgiving

Several months ago my sister Angie begged us to host Thanksgiving dinner so she wouldn't have to go her in-laws. Theirs is not a great relationship, and with mom and dad on a mission, there really was no other place for them to go.

So why not! We had the space. We had the table. But I didn't really have matching dishes. After 18 years of marriage that new set is not so new and a few pieces have been sent to the bone yard.

I invited all my siblings, knowing my brothers probably wouldn't come. And they didn't. But we did get a couple of bonus guests when my parents came home early from their mission.

I ordered new china and goblets and came up with the menu.

My family is so great about volunteering to bring stuff. When it comes to food with the Seamons, we never go hungry and tend to end up a little on the gourmet side. There were two types of turkey . . . Tyler injected Jacob's turkey and Jeff brought a smoked turkey. There was ham, Erik's famous mashed potatoes, gravy, green salad, Keegan's raspberry goodness (unfortunately he belongs on the other family side and didn't get to partake), homemade rolls with cinnamon honey butter, stuffing made from scratch (oh, I'm in love!), yams, green bean salad, yummy drink. Holy cow, we ate well. I didn't even mention the pies . . . chocolate, banana, pecan, raspberry, lemon, pumpkin. We are a group that enjoys being in the kitchen together and digesting good food.

At book club this week, the ladies were discussing their Thanksgiving plans and having to endure family. It made me sad that they didn't enjoy being with family. I came home that night feeling incredibly grateful that I like getting together with family on both sides. It's not something to be endured.

















The snow has come earlier than it has for quite a few years. And with that out 
came the hot chocolate. We are connoisseurs of hot chocolate and drink way too much of the stuff. Ash begged me to let her try out the tea cups that came with the new china. Don't you love her pinky! Our new Sunday dinner tradition involves setting the table with the good dishes. When I bought them, I intended to use them. It's made our Sabbath meal just a tad bit more special.


No comments: