07 November 2015

I sustain a prophet of God

For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD.
For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.
--Isaiah 55:8-9

This week has been an particularly trying week, yesterday especially as I visually watched my Facebook feed blow up with the recent news and decision from the LDS Church regarding same-sex marriages and children. I've been tossed to and fro upon the winds of the internet.

The headline of the first post I saw read: "LDS Church says children of same-sex couples cannot be members" and I kind of went numb and panicked. That didn't seem right. That didn't seem like the church I belong to.

I went to the LDS newsroom and found nothing. I felt better, thinking someone has certainly got their story wrong.

But posts continue to filter in and when KSL posted something similar, I knew it was for real. Again, it didn't seem like the right thing to do. It seemed harsh and I was not at peace.

The Jesus Christ I know and reverence is kind and one of the greatest defenders of children, never wanting them to be hurt in any way.

"But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea" (Matthew 18:6)

". . . he took their little children, one by one, and blessed them, and prayed unto the Father for them" (3 Nephi 21:17).

I had a hard time coming to terms with my knowledge of Jesus Christ's character and this new policy that, at first glance, did not seem to favor children very kindly. Either Christ isn't who he says he is or this new policy was not entirely what I thought it was at cursory glance.

As I've read comments and opinion pieces and have prayed and digested everything, I've had a calm come over my heart. If I believe there is a prophet on the earth today, and I positively do, then as I raise my hand to sustain him, I also raise my hand to support him when he acts as the Lord's mouthpiece.

My finite mind may not understand everything and I'm okay with that. Because I know one day all things will be revealed and all questions will be answered in their due time. I do believe the decision today has the best interests of everybody. I am a witness to the divide that occurs when two adults have differing religious beliefs within a marriage and a family. I would hate to see a child baptized into this church, not having the full support of at least one parent, and watch them try to navigate on their own between what is taught at church and what is taught at home. With this policy the church is trying to ensure that children are not merely pawns in a religious game of life.

If you truly understand covenants, then you understand they are not something to be taken lightly. The church simply does not want a child entering into a covenant that they know will be terribly hard to keep, given the circumstances in their home. Nor do they want to pit the child against their parents.

I also believe the church's policy is strict because we are a worldwide church that encompasses so many different, complex situations. This way they can make allowances where needed. Any parent can vouch for that. You set strict rules in your home that can be tweaked for different children and different circumstances. BUT it's much more difficult to go the opposite direction, setting weak rules and trying to enforce them more strictly.

For me, when a prophet speaks, the debate is over. HOWEVER, I always fall to my knees and ask for guidance and peace and comfort when new changes happen within the church, local or worldwide. Yesterday I did just that.

This past month I gave my young women a challenge to ponderize on 4 scriptures for 4 weeks. As I look at the scriptures I've been working on, it seems the Lord was preparing me for this week.

2 Nephi 4:16 -- Behold, my soul delighteth in the things of the Lord; and my heart pondereth continually upon the things which I have seen and heard.

Jeremiah 33:3 -- Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and shew thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not.

Isaiah 55:8-9 -- For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

Romans 8:28 -- And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

Peace has been restored as my heart and mind both feel comfortable in accepting this new change in policy. This is simply a change in policy not doctrine which means it could last indefinitely or it may be short lived. It certainly isn't something to base my membership in the church on. Unfortunately change is inevitable as world standards and God's standards grow exponentially in different directions. What was not even an issue 30 years ago is being shouted from the rooftops today. Change is hard in any circumstance.

As always I choose to believe.

1 comment:

laura said...

I have had a similar comforting feeling as I have prayed and thought about this clarification.