07 August 2015

Mini vacation

Tyler and Jason took all the kids backpacking.

Originally I was to be part of the mix and part of me really wanted to go. I love backpacking and hiking. But the part of me who was relishing the idea of being home BY MYSELF for two days won out and I after the crazy, busy summer I needed time to regroup, organize, and pull things together before school starts back up.

The original plan was altered when I was headed outside to the garbage. I heard a noise over by the van in the garage and then opened the outside door to see a man standing there. I might have screamed a little before I realized it was Erik, home a day early due to a wicked storm that was on the horizon. He should not frighten his mama like that.

So my two days turned into a day and half but I'll take it. Closets cleaned out, papers thrown away, house mostly clean, a little yard work, a leisure run. The feeling of being able to go and do on my time schedule was heavenly. And the quiet was exhilarating. I soaked it all in knowing it would come to an end. I love my family and love having them home, especially as I cringe at the crazy weather wreaking havoc on my yard and am thankful they are not out in it. I would have worried all night.

As I was sorting and organizing, I came across an old tape of an interview I had with my great-grandma "Ma." She is a hoot and the tape is priceless. Many times I've thought about throwing out the old stereo system we have downstairs because who listens to tapes anymore. Oh, I'm so grateful today I did not.

The little gem I discovered after my interview was an audio recording of Kiersten and Erik when they were probably around two and one. Doubly priceless. It was an afternoon of listening and being taken back in time.


I'm sure I never thought one day they would be teenagers.


Good things
rain
pepsi with a splash of coconut
cafe rio salad dressing

No comments: